DIY Deep Conditioner recipe to the rescue!
You know what I love? Coloring my hair. I change it pretty much every 6 weeks and have been doing that for the past 10+ years.
It started before I was even a senior in high school. Actually, I think the first time I colored my hair, my friend and I used pink and purple Manic Panic when we were 12 and washed it out in the sink at a campground.
So I guess technically I’ve been coloring my hair for almost 20 years.
I have a pretty decent cycle going too. I bleach it to go blonde, I put low lights in it, I go dark, or some hard to remove color, I lighten it up, then I go blonde again. Lots of bleach. Lots and lots of bleach.
It’s a blessing I’m not bald yet.
When my hair was short, it used to stay healthy because the dead bleached parts were being cut off constantly. But now that it’s long, I’m starting to notice the damage I’m causing. I’ve considered stopping the coloring, or sticking with one color… But I just can’t bring myself to commit.
So that’s where my DIY Deep Conditioner comes in.
I made this recipe by doing a little Pinterest research. Then I took a couple of ideas and mashed them all together to create the Mother of All Deep Conditioners.
It’s a very simple recipe. Yes, it’s a little messy, but that just makes things fun!
Once it’s in your hair, I suggest clipping it up, or putting it in a bun, and going to bed with a towel on your pillow. It does tend to run. But this combination does great things for my face too, so I’m not complaining!
Here’s the recipe:
1/4 cup Raw Organic Honey
10-30 drops Essential Oils
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 15 seconds or less if it’s fairly hard.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a cup or bowl and mix well.
- Wet your hair. (I only do this step because my hair is thick and it’s hard to spread conditioner through when it’s dry.) If you have not-so-thick hair, feel free to skip this step.
- Apply from ends to roots. Focusing on your ends first ensures non-greasy roots. I like to do this step upside down so I can see more of what I’m doing. And make sure you’re in a tub or over a sink. Like I said, it’s messy!
- Comb through with a wide toothed comb. I use this one because it doesn’t get stuck or break, and the hook makes it easy to keep in your shower.
- Put your hair up and wait. One hour has been helpful to me but I get the most results sleeping with it in overnight.
- Wash it out with a gentle shampoo, then condition as normal.
And there you have it, healthy hair with only 3 ingredients.
If you want more info about great essential oil blends for healthy hair, sign up for the newsletter using the box to your right! You will receive a password that gives you access to the Subscribers Only Content (Coming Soon)!
Is your hair more fabulous than ever? Do you have a different deep conditioner you can’t live without? Share the wealth, comment below!